If you have suffered a spinal injury, you know that these types of injuries can turn your life upside down. You may be reeling from the physical effects of your injury and unable to work; all the while medical bills continue to add up. These injuries occur when a traumatic event such as a car accident leads to the damage of cells within the spinal cord or there is a severing of the nerve tracts which transmit signals throughout the spinal cord and there is a resulting loss of function. While many spinal injuries lead to paraplegia, quadriplegia or some other type of paralysis some spinal injuries lead to other types of medical problems including a bulging disk, spinal stenosis, herniated disk or spinal fracture. Our legal staff has discovered each year spinal cord injury appears in an average of 15,000 Americans. Approximately 10,000 of these people will endure permanent paralysis, and many injuries resulting in a wrongful death. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal injury, it is important that you speak with a Bronx Spinal Injury Lawyer as you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries.Symptoms of Spinal Injuries
Symptoms of a spinal injury vary. Some symptoms may not be apparent until days, weeks or even months after your accident. If you experience any of the following symptoms following an accident, you may have suffered damage to your spinal cord:
- Extreme back pain
- Pressure in your back, head or neck
- Weakness or paralysis in any part of your body
- Lack of coordination
- Tingling in your hands, fingers, feet or toes
- Numbness or loss of sensation in your hands, fingers, feet or toes
- Difficulty walking
- Impaired breathing
- Twisted neck or back
- Muscle spasms
If you have experienced any of these symptoms, you should see a doctor immediately. Severe spinal cord injuries can lead to paraplegia or quadriplegia. Paraplegia is the complete paralysis of the trunk and lower extremities, while quadriplegia is the complete paralysis of the trunk and all four extremities.Pursuing a Claim
A spinal damage typically creates substantial physical impairments, as in a loss of motor function, loss of ability to breathe, lack of bowel and bladder function or the inability to regulate blood pressure. Spinal injury can often produce a dramatic emotional change as well, like a feeling of hopelessness, depression or denial. Spinal injury may require significant medical treatment and physical, mental and occupational rehabilitation. Enduring considerable medical treatment and rehabilitation usually creates added stress and strain through high medical bills, physical, mental and emotional distress, loss of wages and dealing with a complex legal system. Fortunately, New York law allows injured victims to pursue compensation through a personal injury claim. Such compensation may include:
- Medical Bills: A serious injury to your spine may result in substantial medical bills. Through a personal injury claim you may be able to recover expenses for medical treatment, your hospital stay, prescriptions, rehabilitation and visits to your doctors.
- Loss of Income: If your injury is serious you may not be able to return to work for days, weeks, or even months. You will be entitled to recover compensation for the income you lost while recovering from your injuries. Loss of income includes not only loss of your paychecks. It also includes the value of sick or vacation days you had to use while recovering as well as in other type of compensation and benefits that you lost.
- Pain and Suffering: You may also be able to recover compensation for the pain and suffering that you suffered as a result of the accident. Pain and suffering refers to not only physical pain, but also for emotional pain and loss of enjoyment of life. Whether you will be entitled to receive pain and suffering damages and the amount of such damages depends on the severity of your injuries.
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that resulted in a spinal injury, contact an experienced attorney who understands both the legal issues associated with personal injury cases as well as the medical issues associated with spinal injuries. The staff at Stephen Bilkis and Associates, PLLC is experienced in handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 1.800.NY.NY.LAW (1.800.696.9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case.