A car accident can happen anywhere including in residential neighborhoods, parking lots, industrial areas, and business districts. However, there are areas that have a higher incidence of accidents than other areas. Freeways, for example, can be quite dangerous. Vehicles traveling on highways travel at high speeds. In addition, in New York there are often many large commercial trucks such as 18-wheelers traveling at high speeds along with much smaller passenger vehicles. The combination of high speeds and large trucks make accidents more likely, and accidents more likely to be serious. For example, a victim of an accident on a highway may suffer a severe blow to the head resulting in a traumatic brain injury such as a serious concussion. In other cases a victim may suffer broken bones or a back or spinal cord injury. These types of injuries involve long recovery times, with the victim being unable to work for weeks or even months. However, under New York law victims of freeway accidents are allowed to seek compensation from the person whose negligence resulted in the accident. If you are in need of a New York Injury Lawyer because you or a family member was injured in a car taxi accident it is important to contact an experienced Bronx Freeway Accidents Lawyer who will help ensure that the person responsible for your losses is held accountable. In addition, if during the course of the treatment for your injuries your doctor commits medical malpractice, the party responsible for your car accident injuries may be required to compensate you for the medical malpractice injury as well.Common Causes of Freeway Accidents
Like any type of vehicle accident, the contributing factors for freeway accidents vary. A driver is considered negligent if he or she drives carelessly, resulting in harm to another person or damage to property. There are many ways in which a person could drive negligently. New York has laws that define the "rules of the road." Should a driver violate any of these rules, he or she would have been negligent and responsible for any damage or injury that results from this negligence. Common causes of vehicle collisions on highways include:
- Speeding. Speeding is one of the top contributing factors to vehicle accidents. Furthermore, the speed of a vehicle is directly related to the impact it causes in a crash and the severity of injuries suffered by victims.
- Aggressive driving. Aggressive driving involves not only speeding, but also tailgating, unsafe lane changes, and other violations of traffic laws. Any of these behaviors can lead to a collision.
- Driving while impaired. Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a leading cause of car accidents on highways as well as other types of road. Each year thousands of people are seriously injured or killed in the United States in accidents caused by an impaired driver.
- Distracted driving. If a driver is not focused on the road, an accident is more likely to occur. Nowadays the using a cellphone is a common type of distraction and is a common cause of car accidents.
If the negligence of another driver caused the freeway car accident that resulted in your injuries, you can pursue a claim against that person for damages. The types of compensation that you may be able to recover if you file a claim against the negligent person include:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills including bills from the hospital, your doctors, prescriptions and bills associated with medical equipment
- Damage to your vehicle
- Pain and suffering
If a loved was killed in the car accident, you may be able to pursue damages through a wrongful death action.
Beware that New York law has a specific time limit for filing a claim in a personal injury case. If you do not file your claim within the time period, you will be forever barred from collecting damages even if your case has merit. In addition, if the party responsible for your injury was a government entity then there are special procedures you must follow to file a claim.Bronx Freeway Accidents Lawyer
A personal injury lawsuit stemming from a car accident can be complicated, involving complex evidentiary issues related to fault. If you were injured in a car accident, contact an attorney who not only has experience handing car accidents, but is also familiar with the medical issues victims of such accidents experience. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your car accident.